Vibrio parahaemolyticus gastroenteritis from eating conchs

F. S. Rhame, S. B. Werner

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Scopus citations

Abstract

V. parahaemolyticus was first recognized as a cause of human gastroenteritis in 1950 in Japan. It is now recognized as one of Japan's most common causes of foodborne illness. In the warm summer months it accounts for up to 50% of cases. The organism is widely distributed in the coastal waters of the world, including many areas of the United States. It has been found in a variety of marine fish, shellfish, mud, sediment and water samples obtained primarily from offshore locations. Soft tissue infections caused by V. parahaemolyticus have occurred, but most diseases and all outbreaks have been limited to gastroenteritis caused by contaminated seafood. In 1971 it was confirmed as a cause of foodborne illness in the United States. In the 13 outbreaks reported from this country to date, cases have been traced to contaminated oysters, crab, shrimp, and lobster. The case presented may have originated from conch meat taken from waters near the Bahamas; it is the first time that this disease has been confirmed in California.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)66-68
Number of pages3
JournalWestern Journal of Medicine
Volume121
Issue number1
StatePublished - Dec 1 1974
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Vibrio parahaemolyticus gastroenteritis from eating conchs'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this