Use of automated bone age for critical growth assessment

Khalid M. Khan, Maria T. Gonzalez-Bolanos, Tara Holm, Bradley S. Miller, Kyriakie Sarafoglou

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

5 Scopus citations

Abstract

Background. We compared the variability of bone age (BA) rating between clinicians and an automated system in children with congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH). Method. A total of 126 radiographs assessed by 3 clinicians blinded to patient details using Greulich and Pyle (GP) (readers 1, 2, and 3) and BoneXpert (BX). Results. Comparing BA rating with each other, the mean of the absolute differences varied from 0.42 ± 0.53 years (reader 1 and BX) to 0.57 ± 0.58 years (reader 2 and reader 3), P =.368. Comparing ratings that were consistent with all 4 methods (within 1 year of each other, 93/126, 74%) and the remaining, "outliers" (33/126, 26%), the outliers were younger (P =.003), smaller (height, P =.011, weight, P =.000), and prepubertal (P =.001). Conclusion. The variability of BA rating in CAH children is similar whether performed by clinicians or an automated system. The greatest variability was in prepubertal children.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1038-1043
Number of pages6
JournalClinical Pediatrics
Volume54
Issue number11
DOIs
StatePublished - Oct 11 2015

Bibliographical note

Publisher Copyright:
© 2015 SAGE Publications.

Copyright:
Copyright 2015 Elsevier B.V., All rights reserved.

Keywords

  • Greulich and Pyle
  • congenital adrenal hyperplasia
  • growth
  • prepubertal
  • puberty

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Use of automated bone age for critical growth assessment'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this