New PWM converter circuits combining zero switching loss with low conduction loss

Paul Imbertson, Ned Mohan

Research output: Contribution to journalConference articlepeer-review

8 Scopus citations


A new PWM (pulse width modulation) technique is presented and applied to two DC-DC converters. The new converter topologies completely eliminate switching losses while retaining the low conduction losses typical of PWM circuits. The switches are operated for differing lengths of time, i.e., with unbalanced or asymmetrical duty cycles (for example, one switch at 40% and the other at 60%). The deadtime between switch conduction intervals is made long enough to insure that the switch voltages have commutated naturally from rail to rail, but not so long that the switch voltages have begun their return trip along their oscillatory path between the input rails. Thus, the best features of resonant (zero switching loss) and PWM (low conduction loss) circuits are combined. Design equations and notes are included for a buck type (step-down) and a boost type (step-up) converter.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)179-185
Number of pages7
JournalINTELEC, International Telecommunications Energy Conference (Proceedings)
StatePublished - Oct 1990
Event12th International Telecommunications Energy Conference - INTELEC '90 - Orlando, FL, USA
Duration: Oct 21 1990Oct 25 1990


Dive into the research topics of 'New PWM converter circuits combining zero switching loss with low conduction loss'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this