Mortality on Dialysis—On the Influence of Early Start, Patient Characteristics, and Transplantation and Acceptance Rates

Carl M. Kjellstrand, Britta Hylander, Allan C. Collins

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

45 Scopus citations

Abstract

We compared changes from 1965 to 1987 in patients accepted to chronic dialysis, in a Swedish and a US dialysis center, by medical and clinical parameters at the start of dialysis and by duration of the dialysis. We also studied cause of death, outcome, and cumulative survival and tried to relate them to changes in patients and procedures. Finally, we studied how cumulative survival of dialysis patients was dependent on acceptance rates and transplant rates in five European regions and the United States. At both centers, the number of patients accepted grew, but since 1980, the only patient group that has increased has been older patients with many other diseases; these comorbid conditions have increased from approximately 1.2 to 1.4. In both centers, the number of patients with systemic disease, diabetes, and nephrosclerosis doubled. Cause of death showed a decrease in cardiovascular deaths and an increase in deaths due to stopping dialysis. The hemoglobin level increased from 70 to 90 g/L (7.0 to 9.0 g/dL) and the diastolic blood pressure decreased from 100 to 90 mm Hg. The creatinine level decreased 30% with an unchanged urea. Cumulative 3-year survival for patients without complications increased from 60% to approximately 90% and in patients with complications, it improved from 20% to 60% in Sweden and remained at approximately 60% in the US center. In the United States, many more patients were accepted to dialysis and the transplant rate was high. Cumulative survival on dialysis was inversely correlated both to the acceptance rates to dialysis and to the percent of patients transplanted. These factors explained over 90% of the differences in dialysis survival.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)483-490
Number of pages8
JournalAmerican Journal of Kidney Diseases
Volume15
Issue number5
DOIs
StatePublished - 1990

Keywords

  • Dialysis
  • age
  • comorbidity
  • cumulative survival
  • hemodialysis
  • mortality
  • transplantation
  • uremia

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Mortality on Dialysis—On the Influence of Early Start, Patient Characteristics, and Transplantation and Acceptance Rates'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this