Global Dynamics of the Stationary M2 Mode-1 Internal Tide

Samuel M. Kelly, Amy F. Waterhouse, Anna C. Savage

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

15 Scopus citations

Abstract

A reduced-physics model is employed at 1/25° to 1/100° global resolution to determine (a) if linear dynamics can reproduce the observed low-mode M2 internal tide, (b) internal-tide sensitivity to bathymetry, stratification, surface tides, and dissipation parameterizations, and (c) the amount of power transferred to the nonstationary internal tide. The simulations predict 200 GW of mode-1 internal-tide generation, consistent with a general circulation model and semianalytical theory. Mode-1 energy is sensitive to damping, but a simulation using parameterizations for wave drag and wave-mean interaction predicts 84% of satellite observed sea-surface height amplitude variance on a 1° × 1° grid. The simulation energy balance indicates that 16% of stationary mode-1 energy is scattered to modes 2–4 and negligible energy propagates onto the shelves. The remaining 84% of energy is lost through parameterizations for high-mode scattering over rough topography (54%) and wave-mean interactions that transfer energy to the nonstationary internal tide (29%).

Original languageEnglish (US)
Article numbere2020GL091692
JournalGeophysical Research Letters
Volume48
Issue number11
DOIs
StatePublished - Jun 16 2021

Bibliographical note

Funding Information:
This work was supported by NASA award NNX16AH75 G (Kelly) and National Science Foundation awards NSF‐OCE1434722 (Waterhouse, Savage) and NSF‐OCE1434352 (Kelly) Two reviewers provided detailed and insightful comments that greatly improved the manuscript. The authors are grateful for the opportunity to complete this work during a pandemic that has now tragically claimed 3M lives. During the pandemic, many scientists, especially female scientists, have faced an avalanche of challenges (National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, 2021 ).

Funding Information:
This work was supported by NASA award NNX16AH75?G (Kelly) and National Science Foundation awards NSF-OCE1434722 (Waterhouse, Savage) and NSF-OCE1434352 (Kelly) Two reviewers provided detailed and insightful comments that greatly improved the manuscript. The authors are grateful for the opportunity to complete this work during a pandemic that has now tragically claimed 3M lives. During the pandemic, many scientists, especially female scientists, have faced an avalanche of challenges (National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine,?2021).

Publisher Copyright:
© 2021. The Authors.

Keywords

  • internal tide
  • internal wave
  • physical oceanography
  • tide

PubMed: MeSH publication types

  • Journal Article

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Global Dynamics of the Stationary M2 Mode-1 Internal Tide'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this