Gastric outlet obstruction in peptic ulcer disease: An indication for surgery

Douglas Weiland, Daniel H. Dunn, Edward W. Humphrey, Michael L. Schwartz

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

29 Scopus citations

Abstract

Eighty-seven patients with duodenal peptic ulcer disease and gastric outlet obstruction were reviewed retrospectively. All patients were initially treated with standard medical regimens. Gastric outlet obstruction persisted in 49 patients (56 percent) for more than 5 days, necessitating operative intervention. Obstruction relented in the other 38 patients (44 percent), and they were discharged from the hospital. However, late follow-up on the entire cohort revealed that 98 percent of patients with chronic ulcer disease and 64 percent of patients with acute disease ultimately required an operation.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)90-93
Number of pages4
JournalThe American Journal of Surgery
Volume143
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1982

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Gastric outlet obstruction in peptic ulcer disease: An indication for surgery'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this