Examination of psychometric properties of the need for closure scale-short form among Turkish college students

Hasan Atak, Moin Syed, Figen Çok

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Introduction: The need for cognitive closure (NFC), defined as the desire for “an answer on a given topic, any answer … compared to confusion and ambiguity,” is a topic that has become increasingly important in behavioral neuroscience. The present study aimed to assess the applicability of a measure of need for cognitive closure, the “Need for Closure Scale-Short Form” (NFC-SF), for Turkish college students. Methods: Data from a total of 219 participants aged 19–29 years (male n=61, 27.9%; female n=158, 72.1%; Meanage=23.6 years, SD=3.06 years) were used to conduct validity and reliability analyses. Of the participants, 138 (63.0%; Meanage=22.62 years; SD=2.45 years) were university students, and the remainder had graduated from university (n=81; 37%; Meanage=24.16 years; SD=3.24 years). Results: Language validity (r=0.94, p=0.00), confirmatory factor analysis results (χ2/Df=4.07, GFI=0.90, IFI=0.89, CFI=0.90, AGFI=0.88, NNFI=0.90, and RMSEA=0.011), item analysis, and convergent validity results indicated that a single factor solution with 15 items met the criteria for adequacy of fit among Turkish young people. The internal consistency (r=0.74) revealed a moderate to acceptable reliability. Conclusion: The results demonstrated that the NFC-SF can be used in studies that evaluate the need for closure among Turkish young people.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)175-182
Number of pages8
JournalNoropsikiyatri Arsivi
Volume54
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2017

Fingerprint

Psychometrics
Reproducibility of Results
Students
Confusion
Neurosciences
Statistical Factor Analysis
Language

Keywords

  • Need for closure
  • Reliability
  • Validity

Cite this

Examination of psychometric properties of the need for closure scale-short form among Turkish college students. / Atak, Hasan; Syed, Moin; Çok, Figen.

In: Noropsikiyatri Arsivi, Vol. 54, No. 2, 01.01.2017, p. 175-182.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{98af8436b3db4159ba037b0d1fd4a1bf,
title = "Examination of psychometric properties of the need for closure scale-short form among Turkish college students",
abstract = "Introduction: The need for cognitive closure (NFC), defined as the desire for “an answer on a given topic, any answer … compared to confusion and ambiguity,” is a topic that has become increasingly important in behavioral neuroscience. The present study aimed to assess the applicability of a measure of need for cognitive closure, the “Need for Closure Scale-Short Form” (NFC-SF), for Turkish college students. Methods: Data from a total of 219 participants aged 19–29 years (male n=61, 27.9{\%}; female n=158, 72.1{\%}; Meanage=23.6 years, SD=3.06 years) were used to conduct validity and reliability analyses. Of the participants, 138 (63.0{\%}; Meanage=22.62 years; SD=2.45 years) were university students, and the remainder had graduated from university (n=81; 37{\%}; Meanage=24.16 years; SD=3.24 years). Results: Language validity (r=0.94, p=0.00), confirmatory factor analysis results (χ2/Df=4.07, GFI=0.90, IFI=0.89, CFI=0.90, AGFI=0.88, NNFI=0.90, and RMSEA=0.011), item analysis, and convergent validity results indicated that a single factor solution with 15 items met the criteria for adequacy of fit among Turkish young people. The internal consistency (r=0.74) revealed a moderate to acceptable reliability. Conclusion: The results demonstrated that the NFC-SF can be used in studies that evaluate the need for closure among Turkish young people.",
keywords = "Need for closure, Reliability, Validity",
author = "Hasan Atak and Moin Syed and Figen {\cC}ok",
year = "2017",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.5152/npa.2017.12707",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "54",
pages = "175--182",
journal = "Noropsikiyatri Arsivi",
issn = "1300-0667",
publisher = "Turkish Neuropsychiatric Society",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Examination of psychometric properties of the need for closure scale-short form among Turkish college students

AU - Atak, Hasan

AU - Syed, Moin

AU - Çok, Figen

PY - 2017/1/1

Y1 - 2017/1/1

N2 - Introduction: The need for cognitive closure (NFC), defined as the desire for “an answer on a given topic, any answer … compared to confusion and ambiguity,” is a topic that has become increasingly important in behavioral neuroscience. The present study aimed to assess the applicability of a measure of need for cognitive closure, the “Need for Closure Scale-Short Form” (NFC-SF), for Turkish college students. Methods: Data from a total of 219 participants aged 19–29 years (male n=61, 27.9%; female n=158, 72.1%; Meanage=23.6 years, SD=3.06 years) were used to conduct validity and reliability analyses. Of the participants, 138 (63.0%; Meanage=22.62 years; SD=2.45 years) were university students, and the remainder had graduated from university (n=81; 37%; Meanage=24.16 years; SD=3.24 years). Results: Language validity (r=0.94, p=0.00), confirmatory factor analysis results (χ2/Df=4.07, GFI=0.90, IFI=0.89, CFI=0.90, AGFI=0.88, NNFI=0.90, and RMSEA=0.011), item analysis, and convergent validity results indicated that a single factor solution with 15 items met the criteria for adequacy of fit among Turkish young people. The internal consistency (r=0.74) revealed a moderate to acceptable reliability. Conclusion: The results demonstrated that the NFC-SF can be used in studies that evaluate the need for closure among Turkish young people.

AB - Introduction: The need for cognitive closure (NFC), defined as the desire for “an answer on a given topic, any answer … compared to confusion and ambiguity,” is a topic that has become increasingly important in behavioral neuroscience. The present study aimed to assess the applicability of a measure of need for cognitive closure, the “Need for Closure Scale-Short Form” (NFC-SF), for Turkish college students. Methods: Data from a total of 219 participants aged 19–29 years (male n=61, 27.9%; female n=158, 72.1%; Meanage=23.6 years, SD=3.06 years) were used to conduct validity and reliability analyses. Of the participants, 138 (63.0%; Meanage=22.62 years; SD=2.45 years) were university students, and the remainder had graduated from university (n=81; 37%; Meanage=24.16 years; SD=3.24 years). Results: Language validity (r=0.94, p=0.00), confirmatory factor analysis results (χ2/Df=4.07, GFI=0.90, IFI=0.89, CFI=0.90, AGFI=0.88, NNFI=0.90, and RMSEA=0.011), item analysis, and convergent validity results indicated that a single factor solution with 15 items met the criteria for adequacy of fit among Turkish young people. The internal consistency (r=0.74) revealed a moderate to acceptable reliability. Conclusion: The results demonstrated that the NFC-SF can be used in studies that evaluate the need for closure among Turkish young people.

KW - Need for closure

KW - Reliability

KW - Validity

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85021111510&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85021111510&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.5152/npa.2017.12707

DO - 10.5152/npa.2017.12707

M3 - Article

C2 - 28680317

AN - SCOPUS:85021111510

VL - 54

SP - 175

EP - 182

JO - Noropsikiyatri Arsivi

JF - Noropsikiyatri Arsivi

SN - 1300-0667

IS - 2

ER -