BACKGROUND: Patients with FMS like tyrosine kinase 3 (FLT3)-mutated acute myeloid leukemia (AML) have a poor prognosis and are referred for early allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HCT). METHODS: Data from the Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research (CIBMTR) were used to evaluate 511 adult patients with de novo AML who underwent HCT during 2008 through 2011 to determine whether FLT3 mutations had an impact on HCT outcomes. RESULTS: In total, 158 patients (31%) had FLT3 mutations. Univariate and multivariate analyses revealed an increased risk of relapse at 3 years in the FLT3 mutated group compared with the wild-type (WT) group (38% [95% confidence interval (CI), 30%-45%] vs 28% [95% CI, 24%-33%]; P5.04; relative risk, 1.60 [95% CI, 1.15-2.22]; P5.0048). However, FLT3 mutation status was not significantly associated with nonrelapse mortality, leukemia-free survival, or overall survival. Although more patients in the FLT3 mutated group died from relapsed primary disease compared with those in the WT group (60% vs 46%), the 3-year overall survival rate was comparable for the 2 groups (mutated group: 49%; 95% CI, 40%-57%; WT group: 55%, 95% CI, 50%-60%; P5.20). CONCLUSIONS: The current data indicate that FLT3 mutation status did not adversely impact overall survival after HCT, and about 50% of patients with this mutation who underwent HCT were long-term survivors.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||10|
|State||Published - Oct 2016|
Bibliographical noteFunding Information:
The Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research (CIBMTR) is supported by a Public Health Service grant (cooperative agreement 5U24-CA076518) from the National Cancer Institute (NCI), the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID); by the NHLIB and the NCI (grant/cooperative agreement 5U10HL069294); by the Health Resources and Services Administration/Department of Health and Human Services (contract HHSH250201200016C; grants N00014-13-1-0039 and N00014-14-1-0028) from the Office of Naval Research; by an anonymous donation to the Medical College of Wisconsin; and by grants from Alexion; Amgen, Inc (a corporate member); Be the Match Foundation; Bristol-Myers Squibb Oncology (a corporate member); Celgene Corporation (a corporate member); Chimerix, Inc (a corporate member); the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center; Gamida Cell Ltd; Genentech, Inc; Genzyme Corporation; Gilead Sciences, Inc (a corporate member); Health Research, Inc; the Roswell Park Cancer Institute; HistoGenetics, Inc; Incyte Corporation; Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Inc (a corporate member); Jeff Gordon Children’s Foundation; The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; The Medical College of Wisconsin; Merck and Company, Inc; Mesoblast; Millennium: The Takeda Oncology Company; Miltenyi Biotec, Inc (a corporate member); the National Marrow Donor Program; Neovii Biotech NA, Inc; Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation; Onyx Pharmaceuticals; Optum Health Care Solutions, Inc; Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc; Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company, Ltd-Japan; Oxford Immunotec; Perkin Elmer, Inc; Pharmacyclics; Sanofi US (a corporate member); Seattle Genetics; Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals; Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc (a corporate member); St Baldrick’s Foundation; Sunesis Pharmaceuticals, Inc (a corporate member); Swedish Orphan Biovitrum, Inc; Telomere Diagnostics, Inc; TerumoBCT; Therakos, Inc; the University of Minnesota; and Wellpoint, Inc (a corporate member).
© 2016 American Cancer Society.
- 1 more
- Acute myeloid leukemia
- Allogeneic stem cell transplantation
- FMS-like tyrosine kinase 3 (FLT3)