Challenges in the diagnosis of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy

Jeffrey A Allen, Kenneth C. Gorson, Deborah Gelinas

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

4 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Introduction: We explored adherence to the European Federation of Neurological Societies/Peripheral Nerve Society (EFNS/PNS) guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) by reviewing data from a specialty pharmacy database. Materials and Methods: Clinical and electrophysiologic data were reviewed for 65 consecutive patients treated with intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) for CIDP. Three neuromuscular neurologists independently classified cases according to EFNS/PNS criteria as (1) fulfilling CIDP criteria; (2) non-CIDP (neither clinical nor electrophysiologic criteria met); or (3) unknown (insufficient information). Results: Patients were treated by 31 different community neurologists in 14 states. Only seven patients (11%) met clinical and electrodiagnostic CIDP criteria. The remainder (89%) did not have CIDP (49%) or were unknown (40%). IVIG mean induction dose was 1.25 g/kg, mean maintenance dose 0.79 g/kg, and mean interval between infusions was 23 days. Conclusions: Adherence to EFNS/PNS CIDP diagnostic and treatment guidelines in the general neurologic community was poor. Improved education and awareness of widely available CIDP guidelines are recommended.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Article numbere00932
JournalBrain and Behavior
Volume8
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - Mar 1 2018

Fingerprint

Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy
Intravenous Immunoglobulins
Peripheral Nerves
Guidelines
Guideline Adherence
Polyneuropathies
Nervous System
Databases
Education
Therapeutics

Keywords

  • chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
  • clinical practice
  • diagnosis
  • guidelines
  • intravenous immunoglobulin

PubMed: MeSH publication types

  • Journal Article
  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

Cite this

Challenges in the diagnosis of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. / Allen, Jeffrey A; Gorson, Kenneth C.; Gelinas, Deborah.

In: Brain and Behavior, Vol. 8, No. 3, e00932, 01.03.2018.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{3cf711bfd7894fae9fe2d4ac2c1daed2,
title = "Challenges in the diagnosis of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy",
abstract = "Introduction: We explored adherence to the European Federation of Neurological Societies/Peripheral Nerve Society (EFNS/PNS) guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) by reviewing data from a specialty pharmacy database. Materials and Methods: Clinical and electrophysiologic data were reviewed for 65 consecutive patients treated with intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) for CIDP. Three neuromuscular neurologists independently classified cases according to EFNS/PNS criteria as (1) fulfilling CIDP criteria; (2) non-CIDP (neither clinical nor electrophysiologic criteria met); or (3) unknown (insufficient information). Results: Patients were treated by 31 different community neurologists in 14 states. Only seven patients (11{\%}) met clinical and electrodiagnostic CIDP criteria. The remainder (89{\%}) did not have CIDP (49{\%}) or were unknown (40{\%}). IVIG mean induction dose was 1.25 g/kg, mean maintenance dose 0.79 g/kg, and mean interval between infusions was 23 days. Conclusions: Adherence to EFNS/PNS CIDP diagnostic and treatment guidelines in the general neurologic community was poor. Improved education and awareness of widely available CIDP guidelines are recommended.",
keywords = "chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy, clinical practice, diagnosis, guidelines, intravenous immunoglobulin",
author = "Allen, {Jeffrey A} and Gorson, {Kenneth C.} and Deborah Gelinas",
year = "2018",
month = "3",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1002/brb3.932",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "8",
journal = "Brain and Behavior",
issn = "2157-9032",
publisher = "John Wiley and Sons Inc.",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Challenges in the diagnosis of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy

AU - Allen, Jeffrey A

AU - Gorson, Kenneth C.

AU - Gelinas, Deborah

PY - 2018/3/1

Y1 - 2018/3/1

N2 - Introduction: We explored adherence to the European Federation of Neurological Societies/Peripheral Nerve Society (EFNS/PNS) guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) by reviewing data from a specialty pharmacy database. Materials and Methods: Clinical and electrophysiologic data were reviewed for 65 consecutive patients treated with intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) for CIDP. Three neuromuscular neurologists independently classified cases according to EFNS/PNS criteria as (1) fulfilling CIDP criteria; (2) non-CIDP (neither clinical nor electrophysiologic criteria met); or (3) unknown (insufficient information). Results: Patients were treated by 31 different community neurologists in 14 states. Only seven patients (11%) met clinical and electrodiagnostic CIDP criteria. The remainder (89%) did not have CIDP (49%) or were unknown (40%). IVIG mean induction dose was 1.25 g/kg, mean maintenance dose 0.79 g/kg, and mean interval between infusions was 23 days. Conclusions: Adherence to EFNS/PNS CIDP diagnostic and treatment guidelines in the general neurologic community was poor. Improved education and awareness of widely available CIDP guidelines are recommended.

AB - Introduction: We explored adherence to the European Federation of Neurological Societies/Peripheral Nerve Society (EFNS/PNS) guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) by reviewing data from a specialty pharmacy database. Materials and Methods: Clinical and electrophysiologic data were reviewed for 65 consecutive patients treated with intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) for CIDP. Three neuromuscular neurologists independently classified cases according to EFNS/PNS criteria as (1) fulfilling CIDP criteria; (2) non-CIDP (neither clinical nor electrophysiologic criteria met); or (3) unknown (insufficient information). Results: Patients were treated by 31 different community neurologists in 14 states. Only seven patients (11%) met clinical and electrodiagnostic CIDP criteria. The remainder (89%) did not have CIDP (49%) or were unknown (40%). IVIG mean induction dose was 1.25 g/kg, mean maintenance dose 0.79 g/kg, and mean interval between infusions was 23 days. Conclusions: Adherence to EFNS/PNS CIDP diagnostic and treatment guidelines in the general neurologic community was poor. Improved education and awareness of widely available CIDP guidelines are recommended.

KW - chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy

KW - clinical practice

KW - diagnosis

KW - guidelines

KW - intravenous immunoglobulin

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85041672570&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85041672570&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1002/brb3.932

DO - 10.1002/brb3.932

M3 - Article

VL - 8

JO - Brain and Behavior

JF - Brain and Behavior

SN - 2157-9032

IS - 3

M1 - e00932

ER -